Monday, September 9, 2013

Produce Redemption, part 1

What's the punishment for lethargy with a well-stocked fridge?
I have so much produce on the brink of rotten.... I think "now what" as I peer into the abyss...
I'd better come up with some ideas:
     1) give a heaping bag to my gf
     2) sort, prioritize use, and freeze what I can
     3) cook like a mad woman
#1 Was easy. Check!
#2 Just how much is here? How bad is it?
Some contraband here, but nothing to get in a twist over.
Cabbage, Kale, corn on the cob, jalapenos, and cilantro
 Turnips, eggplant, potatoes, assorted fruits
 3 heads of cabbage (3??? what WAS I thinking?!?!?!?!??!), peppers, sw potatoes, artichoke hearts
Alright, after sending a Target bag worth out the door, much is still in good shape, but clock is ticking. I don't have ROOM in the fridge for 3, THREE, heads of cabbage. Soup season approaches... turn one head of cabbage into soup starter.
 Slice up the kale
 Strip corn off the cob...
 This gadget, btw, is the most flipping awesome kitchen gadget ever. I HATE cutting corn off the cob. HATE IT. This little beauty made quick work of 4 ears with minimal mess AND I didn't slice off part of my finger.
 Put half of each into ziploc bags and put into freezer. Should make for some healthy, flavorful soup, later in the year.
Prepped peppers for stuffed peppers, cutting in half and coring. Put into freezer. Chopped cilantro and jalapenos, making "flavor cubes" for soups, stews, and etc.
 Squished into ice cube trays, covered with water, and once frozen, removed from trays and put into ziploc bags for quick flavor additions.
Next... cook like a mad woman

No comments:

Post a Comment