Thursday, June 13, 2013

I have an emotional attachment to my crockpot

It's 6pm - What's for dinner? Waaay too late. It's 6pm tonight.. what's for dinner TOMORROW? Hmm,
I remember buying some chicken thighs... and thinking "Moroccan Chicken".  I also remember thinking: Crock Pot. Sorry Steve Martin...

 "This is all I neeeeeeeed!" should include a crockpot. Is there, truly, anything better than walking in the door, knowing the answer to "What's for dinner"? and there it is... all fantastic smelling and READY TO EAT? If you can, get the programmable style. Still juicy, but tender meats will thank you.


Quick note... I love technology. I think it both saves and wastes my time. I'm old enough that I grew up without, but young enough that I throw a temper tantrum when it isn't working. I copied the list of spices I needed to a quick Word doc to print and take to the kitchen... printer decides to be offline. After 30 minutes of fruitless troubleshooting, I gave up and went old school -GASP- and WROTE the items... on PAPER. Can I call in to work tomorrow as "too emotionally scarred" to come in?


Like my chicken scratch? Pulled chicken thighs from freezer, they'll "thaw" in fridge tonight. "Thaw" as in I'll probably be able to break them apart enough to put in crock.


I had everything on the list but cloves of garlic, olives, and pitted dates. I'm not too proud to substitute powdered garlic. I'll be sure to stock up this week, to ward off vampires as True Blood's new season begins.    Hmm... do I really want to ward off THIS?


Scratching garlic back off the shopping list.... where was I, besides Fangtasia? Oh yes, the missing olives and 10 dates. I wouldn't call them "missing" as we don't really like olives at this house. Substituted those for some little, sweet peppers. I also found a nub of fresh ginger in the fridge. I believe the purpose of the dates in this recipe is really just a bit of sweet. I decided to add a little brown sugar. No point in buying tons of ingredients, to use a TB or two, for just one recipe. Many spices are good for Mexi, Asian, and Indian. You can often substitute, or skip entirely. Recipe also calls for ground black pepper. I used white pepper out of my "exotic" spice cabinet.  I seriously doubt any of my 3 will say, "but MOM, is this HUNGARIAN paprika"?


Minimal prep work required, once spices assembled. I cut up the oranges, juiced a few slices into my spice bowl, chunked up the ginger, and sliced the sweet peppers. I put all the spices into this little, lidded bowl, gave it a shake to combine and voila`. Looks pretty potent, but poured over 3lbs of chicken thighs and diluted with cooking chicken juices, it will be flavorful but not overpowering. The house will smell AMAZING at 6pm- TOMORROW.

7AM - Time to assemble in the crockpot - Chicken

Spice mixture, ginger, oranges...

 ... sweet peppers on top....

Set for 4 hours on low. Time to go to work!

6PM and the house smells like Casablanca!

Rice - pilaf or something aromatic is a nice side with most chicken dishes that include cumin and or ginger. I cook mine in one of these from Pampered Chef. Perfect rice, every time. No standing over the stove stirring; it's like watching water boil. Wait, cooking rice on the stove top IS watching water boil!  For my family of 4/5, plus enough for a lunch or 2. I use 2 cups rice, 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 cup brothy spice mixture from crockpot, and half a bag of frozen peas and carrots; then micro 5 mins on high and then 18 mins at 50% power.

Here's lookin' at you, kid


No comments:

Post a Comment