Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ice Box Dessert

                                             You bought STORE BRAND cookies?!!?!??!?

Yes... y'all eat cookies by the barrel... they're just as good. And chocolate. You like chocolate. Besides, stuffing them in, 2 at a time, I really didn't think you'd notice.  "Mom, are you hiding the good ones for yourself? Again?" No. Yes. What of it? It's not like I fed you canned salmon mousse. You won't DIE from store brand cookies...

So here they sit... waiting... lurking... and I'm not going to get the "good ones" out until YOU eat them... or I figure out something to do with them.

Ok, fine, but I'm lazier than even just this excerpt from this simple recipe
"Spread a strip of whipped cream down the center of a serving plate to put the cookies on. Spread a generous spoonful on each cookie and stack them on their sides on the whipped cream on the plate to make a long log." 

I like the ice-box dessert idea... so stir into lump or layer into pie plate? Ok, pie plate is clean and dishwasher has room for the mixing bowl. Yes, I consider clean up during prep time. If it doesn't fit, you must make something else!

Put mixing bowl and beater into freezer to chill awhile - you want the whipping cream to stay in the fridge until ready to whip. The colder, the better.

Crush the cookies up as you please (save 4 cookies)... again, I am lazy and food processor jar will fit in dishwasher too. I used about half of a large package of cookies. 

Actually, it isn't JUST lazy. My punishment as a child, as my parents hated washing dishes in our pre-dishwasher world, was "GO do the dishes!!". As an adult, I find hand washing dishes akin to medieval torture.

Let the whipping begin....
2 cups heavy whipping cream, 1/2 C powdered sugar, 2 tsp vanilla

You want the whip cream to be stiff, hold shape when beater lifted. Whipping times will vary - keep an eye on it.... or it will be sweet butter. I had my mixer on "6" for about 8 mins. Give or take.

Start layering in pie plate... which came first, cookie crumbs or the whipped cream? I decided to start with a layer of whipped cream.

BUT -Does it REALLY matter? Will they eat it any slower? Admire the architecture?
3 pigs, 3 kids? Coincidence? 

Alternate layers of cookie crumbs and whipped cream. 

Using a serrated knife, cut cookies in half, indicating 8 servings. Added sprinkles... just because they're like the glitter of the food world, and you can't have too much glitter.

Place in freezer to set. Yep. Corn dogs. Lunch rations, not dinner. Unless I'm tired...and they're whiny. 

After freezing for 4 hours or so, allow to sit on counter for 10-15 mins, to soften up just enough to slice.


Hey look! The store bought cookies are being eaten! Are they? Makes you think, doesn't it?
I mean, what's it all about? 
Whipped cream and cookies... that's enough meaning for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment