Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Change it up Before Chicken Turns to Pina Coladas

I was tired of my lady, we'd been together too long.
Like a worn-out recording, of a favorite song.
So while she lay there sleeping, I read the paper in bed.
And in the personals column, there was this letter I read:
So we eat a lot of chicken. I have several "got to" chicken dishes... but sometimes you just get a little bored of the same 'ol same ol'. I had intended to grill something with some Asian flavor, but after supporting a project until 3am and being awakened by the kids before 7:30 to enjoy a migraine, my gusto was gone-o. It was reported that I was kinda cranky. I emphatically deny this allegation.
Comfort food without a lot of effort... which, really, I think many comfort foods are slow cooked and largely unattended. Chicken and dumplings, beef stew, pot roast, a variety of other soups and what not. Maybe that's what makes those dishes seem comforting... it being "cooked all day" makes it a food of love.

I didn't think about my lady, I know that sounds kind of mean.
But me and my old lady, had fallen into the same old dull routine.
So I wrote to the paper, took out a personal ad.
And though I'm nobody's poet, I thought it wasn't half-bad.
"I'm not much into health food, I am into champagne.
I've got to meet you by tomorrow noon, and cut through all this red tape.
At a bar called O'Malley's, where we'll plan our escape."
Grabbed my list of potential meals, scanned for something different and crockpotable. Is that a word? Probably not... too tired today to either look it up or think of something else. 
Scanned the ingredient list and piled on the counter.
Chopped an onion and a few cloves of garlic - sauteed in pressure cooker. You could do this using a skillet and then a crockpot set for 4 hours on high, leaving it on "warm" setting for another 3-4 hours. 
Browned the chicken and removed from cooker.
Added the rest of the wet ingredients, minus the sour cream, and stirred. 
1 can tomato paste
1 C chicken broth
1/2 C white wine (recipe said dry, I like something a tad sweeter)
1.5 TBSP Paprika 
1/4 tsp pepper
Then added chicken back in, coating the pieces. Set cooker for 22 minutes on High.
Put a pot of water on to boil for the noodles.
Once cooked, removed chicken thighs and set aside.
  Added the 1 C sour cream and a cornstarch slurry to thicken it. Stirred smooth with a whisk.
Put the chicken back in to stay warm until ready for dinner.


So I waited with high hopes, then she walked in the place.
I knew her smile in an instant, I knew the curve of her face.
It was my own lovely lady, and she said, "Oh, it's you."
And we laughed for a moment, and I said, "I never knew"
Chicken Paprikash - the best of what's old and what's new. 


No comments:

Post a Comment