Monday, August 12, 2013

For the Halibut

Well.. for the Mahi Mahi...ok, so not my finest attempt at humor...
But it's late... I'm tired... I'm this guy...
Mahi mahi along with cauliflower with cheese, zucchini pilaf, and honeydew melon.Gathered up ingredients for the pilaf. Simple ingredients, but lots of flavor. RAW apple cider vinegar is THE STUFF.

 Chopped the zucchini (2) and celery (about 4 stalks). Sauteed with a pat of butter and some seasoning (1 tsp).
 Once soft, set aside and added brown rice blend (1Cup) and white rice (1Cup) to pan along with 3 pats of butter.
Stirred rice in hot pan with butter for @4 mins, as rice became slightly translucent. Added 3.5 Cups chicken broth, .5 Cups Apple cider vinegar. Brought to a boil, covered, turned heat to med low.
 
Prepared cauliflower for microwave. Cut cauli into bite sized chunks. Drizzled in a bit of chicken broth and some seasoning like the rice.
 Cook in microwave for 8-10 mins, depending on how large the pieces and how soft you like your veggies. Once cooked, cover with 2 -3 slices of preferred cheese slices, or shredded cheese. I used cheddar.
 Sprayed thawed Mahi Mahi with olive oil and this new seasoning, from Penzey's.
Bring a cast iron grill or skillet to the culinary preferred term, "Screamin' hot". Drizzle with olive oil as well. Don't be stingy with the oil... otherwise, the fish will stick and break apart.

 Rice simmering and fish grilling on the stove. Cauliflower cooking in micro... it's all coming together.
 After about 5-6 mins on one side, I turn the heat down a bit from Screamin Hot and flip the filets. Once you can see the filets start to "flake", you know you're getting close to done.
 Once rice has absorbed most of the liquid, @15 minutes,  stir and then turn heat down to low.
 Cut up a melon, or whatever fresh fruit you have lurking in the fridge.
 I serve most meals family style from the kitchen counter. I have some warped, mental block that if I drag all the dishes to the table, then I'm too tired to clean up and must go to bed immediately. That, and if I have to get up to get more, I probably won't.



No comments:

Post a Comment