Monday, August 5, 2013

Mongo Muffins

Muffins for Mongo! Muffins for Mongo!
Mongo likes Mangoes
So I had a few of these... overripe, forlorn and neglected in the fridge:
Too soft to slice into any sort of fruit salad shape, so I sorta cut the skin and scooped out the pulp. No pictures of that.. had mango juice dripping from wrist to fingertips.. as if I don't already SUCK at peeling and cutting up a mango. I mangle them and the end result looks like someone on a 3 day bender prepped them.
I ended up with a soupy mess, much like smashed, overripe bananas. Bad for mangoes, but good for muffins. To the pulp, my photobombing helper and I added the rest of the ingredients, per this recipe.
Substituting a 1/2c of the flour with whole wheat flour. I didn't have heavy whipping cream on hand, used light soy milk. Between the fresh mangoes, whole wheat flour and soy milk, I'm going to pretend these are practically a health food! I also added 1 tsp almond extract.
We stirred the ingredients until mixed, still lumpy. It was a bit thin, so I added another 1/4 whole wheat flour.. so it became the proper muffin batter consistency. I believe the culinary term is "goopy".
To spruce up a bit, we added 1/2 C sliced almonds and 1/2 C white choc chips
Gently stirred the almonds and chips in and spooned into a mini muffin pan.
Baked at 350` for about 20 minutes. Until tops were set and lightly browned.


Mango muffins make Mongo happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment