Thursday, August 15, 2013

You don't meet a chicken leg like that every dynasty

I've been trying to cut down a bit on the grocery bill... more chicken with bones, less beef WITH. And why is that? Boneless chicken is more expensive/Steaks with a bone more. Hmph... one of life's mysteries...
We just had bbq, the last 3 batches of chicken legs I bbq'd... stumbled across this recipe for some Asian inspired chicken legs. Recipe makes a ton. I'm envisioning freezing half: cook once, eat twice.
Kids like Chinese food, sweet and sour/general tso's chicken especially. This recipe has both sweet and spicy components. Yum! I wonder if one of the kids would help me...probably have better luck with this guy.
As called for by the recipe, mixed flour and cornstarch, rolled legs in it and arrange in pans. Bake at 450, 30 mins, then turn legs over, bake another 15. 
While the legs are baking, I put together the sauce. I don't have pineapple juice, but crushed pineapple... and a blender. I used teriyaki sauce I have on hand instead of soy and brown sugar. Added a handful of cilantro.

After blending, pour into glass bowl and microwave for 4 minutes. Stir, nuke another 2 minutes. It will thicken up.
Make a batch of rice for the side. There should be plenty of sauce.
I just made some simple jasmine rice:
1.5 Cups rice
3.5 Cups water
Micro 5 mins at 100% power
Micro 15 mins at 50% power
Pour over chicken, turning and baking another @15 mins.
They look and smell delish!

And honestly, I liked them... but my family was a little less blown away...

Ok... it was just a taaaaad more different than the miscreants could handle. They ate... but my plan to cook once, eat twice is going to need to include repurposing those legs into something else rather than just heating up for a replay.
If you decide to make these, do it for a party, or do a half batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment