Tuesday, August 13, 2013

El Macho Enchiladas

I have leftovers from Crockpot Chicken Fajitas... and a few slices of leftover pork roast. I don't really feel like quesadillas, my usual leftover fajitas go to... but I really need to use this since I didn't freeze it. Chicken Enchiladas? Hmm... but no worries, Pollito, I already have the chicken.
As well as tortillas. Alas, I'm out of canned enchilada sauce. Hadn't thought I'd need again this soon. Yes, canned enchilada sauce... I'm guessing that's a bad idea?
I googled "enchilada sauce" out of curiosity. Looks easy, and since the other parts of the meal are done, I have a little time to spend on a portion of the meal. I also have an abundance of tomatoes... which we tend not to eat raw. I usually chop up and toss in soup or stew, but I don't do much of that in the summer.
 Enchilada sauce is easy, you say?
Add @2" water to pan with tomatoes. Cook on med high heat for @30 mins
 Once cooked soft, kinda mushy, mash, smash, blend, boat motor the tomatoes.
 Blend into an almost smooth "soup". Set aside.
 In another pan, start the roux... this is what will make the soupy tomatoes become saucy tomatoes.
2 TBSP flour
3 TSBP olive oil
Then add the flavor, the magic, the Macho
1 tsp cumin
2 TBSP chili powder (or southwest seasoning)
Set burner to med high heat; stir into a gloppy paste.
Start adding 2 ladles of tomatoes at a time, then stirring. It will look a little scary.
However, add the liquid slowly to the paste and whisk til "smooth" with each addition of tomatoes. It'll work out.
 See, lovely saucy goodness. Turn heat down to low to simmer. Preheat oven to 350.
 Slice/shred leftover pork roast into bowl with leftover crockpot fajitas. Grab a few tortillas.
 Roll the pork/chicken fajita mix into a tortilla, set in pan.

 Line them across the pan, 5 or 6 max so they have room to be slathered in sauce.
 Slowly pour the sauce over the enchiladas, coating them and letting it pool in the pan.
 I could just dive in now!!

Cover with shredded cheese and cilantro leaves.
 Bake for @30 mins, until melty, cheesy, and gooey. I can't wait.

 Slice and serve with a dollop of sour cream.

Sauce from fresh tomatoes (or even canned tomatoes) is easy and simply amazing. It tastes very "local" mexi restaurant... and considering I didn't actually BUY anything to explicitly make this meal, concocted from leftovers and odds and ends,  it was essentially "free". There were 2 lunch sized portions left after dinner - that were fought over!

No comments:

Post a Comment