Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Science of Dinner


I can hear machinery

"Blinding me with science - science!"

This meal took a little more effort, but by effort, I mean 10-15 minutes of prep time... so it's not like I was curing the heartbreak of psoriasis or anything...
Pulled a package of cubesteaks from freezer and let thaw:
 To a bowl of flour, I added onion powder and seasonings, then dredged the steaks in the mixture
 And browned in the pressure cooker. (Could do this in skillet and then cook in crockpot for 3 hours on low).
Once all browned, put all steaks in and added 1 C broth and set on high for 20 mins. Think about it... 20 minutes for tender cubesteaks... a rather boring, tough cut of meat. 6 steaks for just over $7. Cheap cuts of meat typically require longer cooking times to "tender them up". Pressure cooking is pure science...

While the meat was cooking, I fixed a couple of side dishes. Green beans, 4 strips bacon cut up, and onion powder:
 Frozen mashed potato mix. Had to use this as I didn't get my potatoes prepped and used before they got icky- I had also stored them in the garage... bad idea this time of year. Oh well, moving on...
Once the meat was done, I removed the steaks.

As deep as any ocean

As sweet as any harmony
Mmm - but she blinded me with science

 There was some drippings in pan, but not enough for gravy. I poured in some pre-made gravy and brought mixture to a boil. It stayed thick and the extra drippings enhanced the store bought gravy a tad.

The elements in harmony

She blinded me with science

"She blinded me with science!"
And hit me with technology


No comments:

Post a Comment