Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Greek Steak Salads

Vacation is OVER... back home, back to the grind, and of course, back to "what IS for dinner?" Wait- may we have just ONE more moment of silence for the death of my childless vacation??? I shall picture myself here, in wine country of upstate new york....


... ok. Daydream over. Time to peer into the fridge and play, "What can still be used?"

Lessee... multi flavored hummus that HAD to be purchased... crumbled feta, and pita chips. Hmm...


Grab meat from freezer... steak or chicken greek salads? Steak. Check. It's a work from home day, so I can defrost in micro. Otherwise, I should have done this yesterday to thaw in fridge overnight. Notice the sale tags... I don't always plan my meals by the dish, but by the cut of meat I was able to score at 25% off at the store. I'm using the 2 flank steaks for tonight. Another steak would be fine as I'm going to grill them as steaks and then slice thin for serving on the salads.

Marinate steaks in dish or gallon ziploc, adding lemon juice, few slices of onion and garlic cloves, and Greek seasoning. Store in fridge til grillin' time.

 Cut up and marinate peppers and onions. Squeeze on some lemon juice and the Greek seasoning.

 Toss together a simple salad. We are having steak salads tonight, but I'm going to prepare a large bowl of basic salad so we can have again later in the week... no extra chopping or cutting on my part! When I do this, I leave off the cheese... who wants soggy cheese salad?

Pretty! and will easily keep for a few days.

Make the tzatziki sauce and let the flavors "meld" in the fridge.



Time to apply heat. I grill the steaks on a high heat, 8-10 minutes per side. The veggies are over a med heat, in a grill basket, that I occasionally stir up with a spatula.

Pull steaks off of grill, smear small pat of butter on each and cover with foil for 10-15 minutes. This allows the meat to "rest" and not lose all the juices when I slice it. Slicing while too hot will result in tough, dry meat.


Slice the steak in thin strips and layer on salad with peppers, feta, and pita chips, serve tzatziki on the side. We used it as the dressing for the salad, not just the meat.

With this light, cool summer meal, we still had energy to dance!

I leave you with this parting thought....


No comments:

Post a Comment