Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Which came first: the meal planning or the shopping?

Planning meals a few days, a week's worth, or even further out isn't as overwhelming as it first sounds.
Reckon what you like to eat in there?

I don't necessarily think of meals in terms of "Chicken Cordon Bleu, BBQ Beef Ribs, and Lasagne" as more like "Chicken, Beef, and Pork." I take a look at what I have, then decide what to do with it. I've gotten a little behind in keeping track of my freezer stock, so that's where I'll start today, in my chest freezer.
Oh my, welcome to my abyss....

Pen and paper in hand, I'll do a quick inventory of what I have on hand:
3 pkgs ground turkey
2 meals pork steaks
1 beef roast
1 steak (1.8lbs)
1 meatloaf
1 meal turkey legs
1 meal chicken legs
1 small boneless ham
1 partial bone in ham
1 meal (+pkg of cheese dogs) burger patties from store
1 meal (+leftovers) burger patties from last "warehouse" run
1 ziploc cut-up steak, seasoned for stir fry
2 slabs ribs
2 pizzas (emergency rations)
1 orange chicken kit (emergency rations) (add broccoli to make it "healthy" haha)

Hmm... I'm not going to need to make a meat run just yet. However, I'm going to need to peer into the fridge and pantry to make up some meals.... bet you thought I'd be all Martha Stewart organized, didn't you? No worries, I'm as harried, distracted, burning the candle at both ends as all of you...

I'm running low on produce and staples, BUT, I'll use this opportunity to use up what is here, inventory what is left, and start anew. I need to get through til about Tuesday, when I pick up my produce order.

Now it's time to match up a few ingredients/side dishes with the meats:
3 pkgs ground turkey + remaining tortillas + cheese + enchilada sauce + rice = turkey enchilada casserole and mexi rice
1 beef roast + basic salad + remaining grilled veggies + feta + balsamic vinaigrette = Italian Beef sandwiches and "chop salad".
1 ziploc stir fry beef + broccoli + rice= beef n broccoli
1 pkg burgers + baked beans + 2-bean salad
2 slabs ribs + remaining 2-bean salad + noodle mix
1 meal turkey legs + mac n cheese + sweet potatoes

See, that wasn't so hard!
I like to "pair up" items for meals so that there is one part of the meal that takes "effort" and the other portions are easy. If I plan to make chicken cordon bleu, asparagas with hollandaise sauce, and poached pears, come that evening, we'll be having this:

with a side of this:

This list will take me through dinner on Monday and the only item I need at the store is sour cream (and dishwasher tabs). I'll be posting this list on my fridge... so I know what I'm fixing and what I need to get out to thaw for the next day.

 Tuesday will be produce pick-up and warehouse shopping... so we'll bake up those emergency ration pizzas while I get it all put away!

No comments:

Post a Comment